[Postponed TBD] Independence Creek and Diamond Y Bioblitz: 15-18 Sept 2023

[Postponed: this event has been postponed--hopefully we can reschedule]

Two unique West Texas properties, owned by The Nature Conservancy, will be the focus of a fall bioblitz! Both locations feature a spring--that precious source of cool water in the desert (but no aquatic collecting will be allowed). TNC is especially interested in us contributing to knowledge of odonate diversity at Diamond Y.

The plan is for Independence Creek to be our home base, with a day excursion to Diamond Y on Saturday (for those that want to). They're not too far apart (as measured in Texas distance).

We can start arriving Friday and spend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights at IC.

Here's a map showing both locations.

Thanks to @knightericm for making arrangements and TNC staff for welcoming us to these unique properties.

Details regarding facilities at Independence Creek will be posted when available.

הועלה ב-מרץ 15, 2023 12:28 לפנה"צ על ידי pfau_tarleton pfau_tarleton


This sounds like a great combo-bioblitz! Planning on participating.

פורסם על-ידי annikaml לפני 7 חודשים

Adding this to my calendar. Thanks for organizing it!

פורסם על-ידי amzapp לפני 7 חודשים

Definitely interested.

פורסם על-ידי rymcdaniel לפני 7 חודשים

Wonderful! Sign me up. =)

פורסם על-ידי k8thegr8 לפני 7 חודשים

I'm in. I was near both locations during my southwest Texas tour last spring but passed through quickly. I made some interesting roadside stops along 190 though. Several were along the San Saba River. Rather limited areas, but full of arthropods at least.

פורסם על-ידי eaneubauer לפני 7 חודשים

Looking forward to it!

פורסם על-ידי bosqueaaron לפני 7 חודשים

Provided I have any time off available I am absolutely going to try to make this one.

פורסם על-ידי brentano לפני 7 חודשים

I'm definitely interested! Will have to see how my time off works out. Pretty sure I'll be moving houses AGAIN in September, so we'll see as it gets closer.

פורסם על-ידי kimberlietx לפני 6 חודשים

Is there lodging on site or is it tent camping?

פורסם על-ידי williampaulwhite17 לפני 6 חודשים

@chasingchickens and I are interested!! Adding this to the calendar :)

פורסם על-ידי wildcarrot לפני 5 חודשים

This is penciled in my calendar!

פורסם על-ידי lovebirder לפני 4 חודשים

On the calendar!

פורסם על-ידי k8thegr8 לפני 4 חודשים

Ill be planning on making it to this as well!

פורסם על-ידי dillon_kyle לפני 3 חודשים

While attempting to walk from my parking lot to my office without succumbing to heat stroke, I contemplated our bioblitz scheduled for mid September about a month away. I have a feeling that we will still be experiencing 100+ degrees in mid-September.

Given that this may be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for some of us, what are folk's thoughts on rescheduling it to a month that may be more favorable temperature-wise?

פורסם על-ידי pfau_tarleton לפני בערך 2 חודשים

Coming up pretty quick, isn't it? I could tough it out like I did in Mason County lately, but there was a huge chunk of the day that was useless. Would it be worth postponing it 3 weeks?
Remember the TMN annual meeting is October 12-16. I don't know how many of us would be going, but I'm locked in (paid money, made reservations, doing a presentation).

פורסם על-ידי eaneubauer לפני בערך 2 חודשים

The heat right now is absolutely kicking my butt, and (from what little I've been out doing) animal activity seems pretty low too.

פורסם על-ידי williampaulwhite17 לפני בערך 2 חודשים

During mid-October last year Independence Creek had a ton of activity and the weather was beautiful, but it was also wetter in the month or two up to that point than it's looking this year

פורסם על-ידי mpintar לפני בערך 2 חודשים

I'm also locked in to the Master Naturalist Conference, but I agree that looking at other dates might be worthwhile.

פורסם על-ידי bosqueaaron לפני בערך 2 חודשים

Im also in agreement to push it back a bit in hopes of cooler weather but will still plan on going if we keep the date the same.

פורסם על-ידי dillon_kyle לפני בערך 2 חודשים

October would probably be better. The heat is brutal and above 90 degrees is still common in October...

פורסם על-ידי k8thegr8 לפני בערך 2 חודשים

I definitely agree pushing it back would be good!

פורסם על-ידי wildcarrot לפני בערך 2 חודשים

I'll support whatever decision you make.

פורסם על-ידי amzapp לפני בערך 2 חודשים

I am still on board for September, especially as some of the species I am most interested in in that area are most likely to be blooming then (if at all since they are annuals). I am not sure if I would be able to make it in October, but would likely still try.

פורסם על-ידי rymcdaniel לפני בערך 2 חודשים

I can make either the original dates or later in October, but I’m locked in to the TMN conference in McAllen, October 11 - 15.

פורסם על-ידי inhat83 לפני בערך 2 חודשים

I'm fine with moving it. Nothing planned on my end after October 8th.

פורסם על-ידי annikaml לפני בערך 2 חודשים

I'm canceling the Independence Creek/Diamond Y bioblitz due to heat and drought. The property manager is also no longer working there, and I've not been able to get in touch with the alternate contact. We'll work to reschedule this at some point in the future.

פורסם על-ידי pfau_tarleton לפני בערך חודש

Ah bummer, is Diamond Y still happening or we rescheduling both?

פורסם על-ידי knightericm לפני בערך חודש

Rescheduling both. I edited my post to clarify.

פורסם על-ידי pfau_tarleton לפני בערך חודש

Thanks for clarifying.

פורסם על-ידי eaneubauer לפני בערך חודש

Thanks for the update.

פורסם על-ידי rymcdaniel לפני בערך חודש

OK... bummer. Timberlake this fall?

פורסם על-ידי k8thegr8 לפני בערך חודש

Maybe the quarry? If we ever get any rain?

פורסם על-ידי bosqueaaron לפני בערך חודש

Yes, please!

פורסם על-ידי k8thegr8 לפני בערך חודש

Looks like Independence Creek AND Diamond Y just got some decent rain yesterday, but probably not enough...

פורסם על-ידי knightericm לפני בערך חודש

They definitely should have received rain last Sunday. I was caught in a downpour on 190, and the storms probably stopped traffic on I-10 west of Ozona.

פורסם על-ידי kucycads לפני 29 ימים

Hope this puts me in the loop for this one.... Did not realize it was postponed until I decided I needed to find out the particulars for this weekend!

פורסם על-ידי connlindajo לפני 18 ימים

Sorry Linda Jo...you're in the loop now.

Since the change in management of these properties, I have still yet to receive replies to my emails. Hopefully they'll have a new property manager soon so that we can attempt to reschedule.

פורסם על-ידי pfau_tarleton לפני 17 ימים

I'm not sure how "soon" the new manager will be there since The Nature Conservancy of Texas just posted an add on Facebook about the position. :-/

פורסם על-ידי annikaml לפני 17 ימים

We'll aim for spring or next fall

פורסם על-ידי pfau_tarleton לפני 16 ימים

הוספת תגובה

כניסה או הרשמה להוספת הערות